It has been too long since I posted, but I can explain myself. I’ve been spending all my time surfing forums and websites learning about Mazdaspeed MX-5s, their likes/dis-likes, things that make them go faster, stop harder, corner better… I’ve alsoaccomplished some of the things I thought I was going to do in the spring.
Oil is changed to German Castrol Syntec 0W30. Tranmission is filled with Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid and the differential is fully of RedLine 75W90.
I’ve also acquired a used Hard Dog Hard Core M2 Double Diagonal. Getting it used saved me enough coin that I’m able to get powercoated silver to match the car’s rims, which are also being repaired.
So spring will see me change the brake rotors (already acquired), pads (either Hawk HPS or Carbotech), and fluid (ATE SuperBlue or Motul 600), install the rollbar, and change the clutch and power steering fluid.
I’ve also learned a lot more about the the modifications I had planned so I’ve revised my plan a bit:
Mazdaspeed MX-5 Modification Plan
Rev 2 – 2008.12.07
- Hard Dog Hard Core M2 Roll Bar with double-diagonal – safety first, right?
- Flying Miata Frame Rails – increase chassis rigidity to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness while helping the suspension to do its work
- Rims and Tires for Solo II – still not sure what to get, but 15″ rims are likely. Also thinking of moving up to R-compound tires, but overall width is where I’m stuck as I want to go wide, but have enough clearance that I don’t have rubbing when I upgrade suspension down the road.
- Flyin’ Miata Intercooler – this one is a maybe and will depend on budget
Date To Be Determined:
As far as routine maintenance, next spring will see Ginger receive:
- new transmission fluid (Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid) – done
- new differential fluid (RedLine 75W90) – done
- new brake fluid (TBD DOT 5.1)
- new power steering fluid (Dexron VI)
- new clutch fluid (TBD)
- brake service (rotors replace or turned), new pads (brand TBD), lubricated
- interior shampoo